Thursday, September 3, 2009

Next steps

We have a plan to get me back into therapy and hopefully on the path to walking again one day. I will have my cancer check up on September 19 - please pray with me that it is all good news and the cancer is still gone. After the green light is given from the cancer docs I will have an MRI to see the state of the radiation damage then a dose of Avastin. All this should get wrapped up in September and then I will begin therapy in October. My parents are helping us foot the bill until we get more visits from insurance in the new year. Don't even ask how much paying for therapy costs out of pocket - it is outrageous.

If Dave and I were not blessed with such supportive family continuing therapy would not be an option. I am so thankful and pissed off at the same time........I began to type the laundry list of things that upsets me about my current situation and it just went on for too long. I stopped and deleted. I cannot live my life being upset about my current situation. Dave and I always talk about how we have to try to stay positive and focus on moving forward. When the bad news comes it is hard to remember the positive and then when you least expect it the kids put everything in perspective -

Driving home today I told the kids how happy I was when we are all together and how much I miss them when we are apart. Lee chimed in mom you are never alone. I responded yes I am when I am stuck in the yucky hospital without all of you. He said no mom god is always with you so you are never alone.

He is so right and I feel better already.

6 comments:

Marsha said...

Heather,
I just established an account so I could send a comment to you. I stumbled onto this blog because I was searching for information on adverse side effects from Avastin. I have never corresponded with anyone online before, but since you are facing taking Avastin again, I felt I needed to tell you about my experience with Avastin.

I was being given Avastin for Stage IV colon cancer and was suddenly stricken with Transverse Myelitis on Jan. 25, 2008. After numerous MRI's and CAT scans, the docs concluded that I suffered a blood clot to the spine (T10) as a result of the Avastin. I was left paralyzed from the waist down. However, after many months of physical therapy, I can now "walk" with the aid of either a rollator or forearm crutches. I can take steps around the house without the use of support, but if I'm not careful, I can easily fall, and not so easily get up.

Needless to say, my life was turned upside down in a matter of seconds. I have neuropathy in my legs and feet, but I've come a long way, and I know you will too!!! Please rethink taking Avastin again.

Best of luck to you!!!
Sincerely,
Marsha

Anonymous said...

Heather:

Never doubt the wisdom of the young, especially those who treasure and thrive on a parent's love.

John

Anonymous said...

Heather:

Lee is truly the gentle soul of your three....and wise beyond his years. Aunt Joyce

Sandi said...

how true. You are so strong....truly and inspiration getting through all this with an attitude to stay positive. I know it's not easy.

Anonymous said...

Heather,

Just want to tell you that we, all the U.K. family, are thinking of you!

I always marvel at how positive you and David manage to be despite all the setbacks!

We wish you & all the family only good times and much happiness in your new home!

Much love, Edna

Anonymous said...

Heather,
Thinking of you and praying for you! The kids look great- I can't believe how big Alex is. I love what Lee said... I miss all of you!
-Kristen