Sunday, April 27, 2008

A week of the big meds - not that bad

The home nurse from Hopkins came out last week and hooked me up with the IV steroids. I took them Tues. - Sat. in the comfort of my own home with little Charlotte Marie as my nurse. She says she wants to be a nurse now but only for me - how cute. The drugs definitely improved the burning sensation I get when I overwork my legs. I still have the leg weakness and it is slow moving for me to get around. Good news is the symptoms didn't get any worse this week so hopefully the drugs did their trick and told my body to stop with this nonsense.

I am done with the high dose and back on just oral steroids for the next week or so. Amazingly enough I thought I would go ballistic with that much medicine in my system or get terribly depressed but none of that happened. This new condition of mine has actually forced me to slow down, stop being such a type A nut case, and help me live in the moment. The only side effect that bugs me is the puffy, water retention, weight gain. I have essentially been on steroids now since the fall and my stomach is growing. I just keep saying let it go - let it go - at least you are alive.........I would still like to fit in my old clothes though.

Alex is actually being sent back to his old daycare provider this past week and upcoming week to help keep him safe and sound. Our best sitter ever is also coming during some weeknights to help me with the kids. These people are the biggest lifesavers and I am so thankful that I have a support system here.

We celebrated Dave's 34th birthday which I couldn't have pulled it of without Dan and Louise. They are such a huge support and I thank my stars they are so close and so kind. Dave had a great day and the kids had fun playing outside in the weather.

So I continue to count my blessings - my family rocks! We love our Aunt Michele (my lifeline), are gearing up to visit my Dad in AZ this summer, Gramms (as the kids call my mom these days) is bringing us dinner today, and Uncle Paul let the older 2 spend the night last night with their cousins.

Life is good - maybe even better in slow motion.

No comments: