Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Good news

Today Dave and I met with the radiation oncologist and good news - my original cancer (in my neck, chest, and right armpit) is gone. These are all the places they treated with radiation and it definitely worked. Unfortunately there are 2 nodes lighting up in my left armpit. These are new and have never previously lit up on any scans. They are small and my doctor thinks they might be active due to the recent shingles infection that was in the same area. They want to do a CT scan in 3 weeks. If that scan shows growth then it is cancer. If the scan shows shrinkage then it is from the infection. I vote for shrinkage and the infection. If it is cancer he definitely says he can radiate since we have never radiated in that area before. He also said the side effects would be really low in that area. I guess the rads to my chest were a bigger deal and I am through the hard part. If it is cancer I suppose we have a lot more questions to ask and concerns about the cancer moving around. But I am definitely thinking this is from the shingles and I am hopeful this cancer crap is done once and for all.

I was a wreck this morning and wanted to jump out of my skin waiting on the report. The radiologist that reported the PET scan actually screwed up her decimal point and reported that the 2 nodes in my left armpit were much larger. Dave and I started thinking I was facing a bigger more aggressive cancer. Thankfully my radiation oncologist reviewed the scans and quickly called her for an explanation and reamed her out for the error. Talk about a roller coaster ride this morning.

Dave and I are so happy. Yes we have to wait a little while more to find out about the new area but I am just so overjoyed that the major stuff is gone. Finally my cancer responded well to treatment. They can't call me radiation resistant!

It is like my life has been handed back. I am no longer on pause. I can exhale. I can see a glimmer of life that isn't dominated by cancer.

Without a doubt I am certain that all the prayers, meals, kindness, and support from everyone helped me get this good news today. I couldn't have done it alone.

I am full of gratitude and thank god for this wonderful news.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

YYYYYYYIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEE SKIPPPPPPEEEEEEE! Praise be to God. This is wonderful news.... lots of hugs to you, Dave and the kids as you celebrate. Lots of Love...Aunt Joyce

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I am so happy to hear the good news. Louise called me last night to share the news. You have been in my prayers ever since I found out about your situation and felt all along that God would bring you through this. You and your family have been real troopers. Have a great summer.
Delma (Louise's friend)

Anonymous said...

Praise God for this miracle! Cousin Jess

Anonymous said...

Heather, we are so so SO overjoyed for your outstanding news!! Waiting to hear the results must have been maddening, but thank God they were something worth waiting for.
Love and prayers,
Justine and family

Anonymous said...

I am VRY happy for you.

Kathy Campbell

Lisa Enright said...

Awesome news Heatehr and if my vote counts for anything, I vote infection, too!! Great to hear you are able to relax.....enjoy your summer with your children and Dave! Have a happy one!

Anonymous said...

Praise God is RIGHT! Heather, I have been slack in checking your blog ... and now I kick myself b/c I could have learned of your fantastic news last week. Well, regardless, I still continue to pray for your continuing improvement! I am so grateful for your news!

Anonymous said...

Great news Heather. I'm sooooo happy for you and your family. You are such a great person and wish you and Dave the very best.

Ezra & Aneta