Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I am back online thanks to the best father in law in the world! Dan brought me the connection today and I finally feel like I am connected to the universe again. What did people do before the internet?Thanks to my sister for doing the quick update all the way from Moscow. So my pesky little cough that worsened after vacation has turned out to be pneumonia. I have the Bone Marrow Transplant Team, Infectious Diseases Team, and Pulmonary Team all on the case to figure out what the heck is causing this infection. Is it fungal or bacteria? Could it possibly be Valley Fever? With all these white coats you would think I would have an answer after 6 days in the hospital – but nope not yet. I get to get my second bronoscopy (spelling???) tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully they can get a good piece of this crap from my lung, set it in a dish to grow for a couple days and get a final diagnosis. My first procedure was a bust – the usual not enough pain/twilight meds and I woke up during it feeling like they were suffocating me to death. Fun times! Tomorrow they promise to knock me out.Of course the timing of this hospital stay was awful and I missed Charlotte’s 4th birthday. I get the award for worst mom of the year for this stunt. I missed the pool party, decorations, cake – all that priceless stuff you just can’t get back. Dave and the kids are managing. Lee of course is most aware, sensitive, and upset. Charlotte is saving me a piece of cake. Alex is hanging out with Louise since his daycare provider is on vacation (jeez again with bad timing). So my hopes of returning to a normal life and work on Monday are down the tubes. The doctors will barely give me an estimate on when I am getting out of the hospital let alone a date to return to work. I really didn’t expect this hospitalization and thought my time in the joint was way behind me. Just when you think you are out of the woods………So back to baby steps and hoping my procedure tomorrow goes well and I get home for the weekend. I will deal with the rest of my life after that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Worst mom of the year?" - Hardly. I can't imagine a better one!
Fo this party, the kids had a great time complete with monster sugar highs. There will be many more birthdays and great times ahead for everyone.

Lisa Enright said...

Worst Mom of the Year Awards go to those mothers who do things to their children that are within their control. You are a great mom who loves her children with all of herself. You cannot control being admitted to the hospital. Focus on getting better. Your children understand. I think it is sweet that Charlotte is saving a piece of cake for you! Hope you get some answers AND enough pain meds!!

Anonymous said...

Heather
Hope they can tell you something soon. Your sister's entry made me laugh out loud. I am gald you have so much support.

Kathy Campbell

Anonymous said...

Life is what happens when we are making other plans.

Anonymous said...

As a smoker if you do not care about yourself its fine but what about your family? The environmental cigarette smoke can lead to passive smoking which may result in risk of lung cancer, heart disease, miscarriages and birth defects, developing asthma in children and adults, ear infections, aggravated asthma, allergies, and other conditions like learning difficulty in children and lung infection. http://www.chantixhome.com/