Thursday, October 9, 2008

Strength not too bad

I have lost some trunk strength and it is harder to bump up the stairs then before. But overall I don't think I lost too much of my newly acquired skills.

At this point I think the risks of me getting sick at rehab outweigh the benefits of the therapy. The cleanliness conditions (or lack there of) here and medical staff incompetence just does not mix well with my complex medical history and whacked out immune system. Additionally, Dave and I agree that it is just time for me to be home. He really feels like the kids just need my presence and I don't blame him/them. So I am lobbying hard today to be out of this place by next Friday at the very latest. Pretty much I think I will just check myself out if they put up a fuss.

My insurance allows therapist to come to the home and then once they feel like I am beyond that need I move to out patient therapy in Baltimore. This set up will allow for me to see the kids and protect myself from infections better.

I will miss my exceptional physical/occupational/recreational therapists here but I just can't risk going back into the hospital with another infection.

4 comments:

Jessica Jordan said...

Amen. Time to be home.

Duane said...

From your description, it definitely sounds like you need a change of environment even though the staff have been so great. Being back home with the kids will be amazing. :)

Anonymous said...

Heather and the Zs,

Your family is so lucky to have you! I was directed to your blog by a program director in our organization. I am awestruck by what you have been through and the way you keep going...dealing with one obstacle or crisis at a time...just like an effective CEO. (Yes, I know you have a lot of help and have shared your gratitude for family and friends. I'll include "faith" in case you're thinking it's missing in the sentence; it wasn't. He knows without seeing his name in print - remember - omniscient.) But back to you; you give hope to me and people, regardless of their struggle, who happen upon your blog. Thank you. You have an excellent mind and strong body. You can get through this one day at a time. Looking forward to seeing Halloween pictures of the family and Maple. God Bless you all.

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I think you're right to go with your gut and want to be back home.
Don't hesitate to let us know whenever we can help again. Caleb misses Charlotte at preschool and we live nearby.
-April