Saturday, April 28, 2007

Alex and the end of rads

Alex is feeling better and his fever finally broke on Thursday. The doctors diagnosed him with a urinary tract infection and he has begun antibiotics. Unfortunately a UTI in babies is a little more complicated than us adults. He will have to be evaluated at either Hopkins or Children's for complications. Problems that cause UTIs include blockages and a condition called vesicoureteral reflux (VUR), in which urine backs up from the bladder into the kidneys. Once he finishes his initial round of antibiotics we will do the testing; about 2 weeks from now.

I am just happy to have a diagnosis - the unknown was killing me.

I had my last radiation treatment on Friday! I will have to go up to the hospital to have my counts checked every other week. A lot better than driving up every day. My counts are still low and my skin is really irritated. Hopefully this will all clear up in the next couple of weeks.

We are focused on getting Alex better, his testing complete, and hanging out as a family. I can't wait for the day when we will never have to go to Hopkins again. Alex getting sick really threw me for an emotional loop.....I can handle the roller coaster ride my cancer has put me on....but I don't want to be on a roller coaster with Alex. We pray this UTI is nothing serious and he won't have to be poked, pricked, and prodded too much.

2 comments:

Kibbie said...

I'm so glad you know whats going on! I know how heart wrenching it can be to not know what is wrong with your little one!

Hopefully he won't need to be poked and prodded much!

We think of you guys every day!

Kibbie

Anonymous said...

So relieved to hear that alex is better! Had already asked Dan & Louise about him as I have been worried about you all!

Hope you had a wonderful evening out at the Chinese restaurant for David's birthday last night!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID!! &
MAZEL TOV ON FINISHING YOUR RADIATION, HEATHER!!

Much love, Aunt Edna