Friday, April 13, 2007

Test results

My radiation oncologist called with the CT results. Essentially the CT does not show any shrinkage which was expected. The CT is limited and does not tell us what in the mass is active cancer cells or residual mass. My radiation oncologist did however review the PET results from several weeks back (before we started radiation) and thinks the area that was active is less than they originally reported. He plans to increase the radiation, target only the areas that were lighting up on the PET, and do this for about 1 more week. I heard all of this over the phone and I have a face to face meeting Monday. I like in person much better than over the phone. I need to see the pictures so I understand exactly what he is saying.

After sitting down with the PET technicians and reviewing that test result again he feels that my cancer had reduced more than my medical oncologist and the report originally stated. This is great news. He also thinks that there is a possibility that the radiation we have already performed has killed the cancer but we won't know for sure until they do another PET. He plans to do another PET one month after we finish radiation.

Lastly I still have some fluid in my lower lung and he wants me to call ASAP if I develop a cough. I guess maybe the infection is still kicking around? I certainly don't feel it.

So this sounds like really positive news. Again I want to see everything on Monday but hopefully this really is the end and the SCT plus radiation killed the cancer.

I will update on Monday after I visit with my doc in person. Have a great weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Checked in to hear how you got on; sounds very much like very hopeful news. Let us all know how it goes on Monday but this sounds so much like the best news for a long time. Just have a good weekend and relax- as you do of course with three small children!
Lots of love, Bridget, Steven and boys

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update cuz, it sounds like things are starting to be just as they should, and I hope the news is just as positive Monday. I will check the blog first thing when I get home Monday night. By the way, we have another Alex fan. We put a picture of him on the fridge from my mom and dad's Easter visit, and every time Matt looks at it he is like, "He is just too cute." I am really hoping that once I graduate and things settle down that we can come out together so he can spend some time with the 3 best kids EVER. :) Jessica