Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Halfway there!

Today marks the halfway point for radiation. Only 2 more weeks to go - unless of course the radiation oncologist feels the need for some additional rads once the initial treatment is done.

My radiation oncologist felt the CT scan associated with the PET scan done before treatment started wasn't good enough to take an accurate measurement. So I will have to wait until he orders his own scan after next Wednesday to see if my mass has shrunk lately. He is uncertain if he will do just a CT or a PET as well. He is also contemplating when after radiation to order a PET. My oncologist doesn't want to do the PET until 4 months post radiation treatment.....so I guess I will sit back and let them hash it out. It is crazy how your life starts to revolve around the tests and the results.

I have a new side effect of radiation, a low red blood count, what fun. They asked (mind you with a straight face) if I was tired since that is an indicator of low red counts. No shit I am tired you are zapping me every day, I just had a transplant, and by the way before that I had a freaking baby! I honestly cannot remember not being tired. Do I need to wear a sticker on my forehead? Does the bald head and mask not give it away?

Anyway....I get a shot tomorrow to bring up my red count and then maybe I won't require a nap and early bedtime. At least the counts aren't so low they don't need to transfuse me or send me back to the hospital.

I am getting anxious for the radiation to be over and hopefully this will be the end of treatments. Is it possible this could be the finish line? I pray it is.

No comments: