Tuesday, April 17, 2007

More news from radiation

I met with my radiation oncologist on Monday. He has decided to do a boost that will last for seven more treatments. I saw the PET scans that he reviewed with the technicians and there are essentially 2 spots (one on my neck and upper chest) that are still active on the PET. Again after reviewing the PET scan with a tech that he feels knows what they are doing he thinks the transplant worked better than it was originally reported.

Great news in our book! I am glad all that transplant nonsense wasn't a waste of time and did what it was supposed to. My radiation oncologist is very positive that this boost will get rid of anything else and hopefully I will be in remission.

We perform another PET scan 1 month post radiation treatment - should be the end of May.

Dave, the kids, and I are all getting so excited that this could be over soon. We are all just sick of me being sick. The docs say the effects of radiation will last about a month after the final treatment. Also, with this boost my throat will get worse, skin more sensitive, and more tired. I am having problems eating and swallowing. Really this radiation is nothing compared to the transplant and VOD.

My laptop is on the outs so my posts are less infrequent. I will try to update again this week.

Thanks for all the continued support, prayers, emails, and posts.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good to hear!!!!

Anonymous said...

Heather, this is great news! I am so happy to hear that you are on the road to a full recovery! Seeing you Sunday was the BEST way to spend my Sunday morning. I really really enjoyed our visit. Much love,
Julie

Linda said...

I know it has been awhile but you are always in my prayers. This is great news. Radiation is tough but it it is so worth it. Food will taste lousy and of course hard to swallow. Keith loved milk shakes.
Give my love to all
Aunt Linda

Anonymous said...

Great news!!!! ESI says Hi.

Rachel

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,

Its your "old aunt" Edna in Newcastle, England still checking your website every day!!

Wonderful news! Hopefully you are at last able to see "the light at the end of the tunnel"!?

I love to see the photos of the kids! They all look so happy! How about a picture of your "long suffering" husband David (my youngest nephew)?

Much love from Werner & Edna