Friday, October 26, 2007

stay at home mom

So I resigned from my job this week. It was a very difficult decision for me. As you all know my mom raised me to be very independent and I have always worked. Depending upon Dave for our sole income is a bit scary to say the least. But the latest set back with the lungs really threw the kids for a loop and I had to make the decision that my full time job needs to be getting healthy. Next after that is taking care of the kids.

My employer (BNQP) was fantastic throughout this whole ordeal and I cannot thank them enough for their generosity and support. Not to mention all the other Federal employees out there that donated me leave.

Another part of my resignation decision was that I have no clue when I can return to work. My lung doc recommends that I don't work if I don't have to. My oncologist always suggested that I don't go back until 1 year post transplant. I can't even imagine when I can get back to a job full time.......so this is the best decision. I cannot expect my office teammates to just sit around and wait for my return indefinitely.

My director was very understanding when I resigned and super supportive. Again, the staff at BNQP was the best. I guess it just wasn't in my cards to work right now. I tried but at this point my health has to take importance.

So I guess this makes me a stay at home mom for now. Hopefully I can stay on this path of recovery, get my health to a 100%, and then worry about a career again. I have learned a couple of things throughout this ordeal. One is to just take it a day at a time. Another is that nothing is forever. So no need to mull over this too much. Things are what they are -I can always have a career again in the future.

2 comments:

Lisa Enright said...

Good for you! Enjoy it! You will have so much fun.

Kibbie said...

What a great decision! If you ever the the 'I should have a career blues" give me a call!