Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Tattooed

I am officially a tattooed women! 2 to be exact. I never got a tattoo before because I couldn't think of something I liked enough to want to live with it forever. Well I will love these 2 little dots the rest of my life if radiation kills my cancer.

The tattoos actually marked the end of my first radiation appointment. Overall it was pain free and quick. I think I will like this treatment the best. The only thing that sucks about radiation is my mask. I found out today that the mask shrinks once hardened and the thing is really tight! They didn't screw down the bottom screws because it was so obviously tight. Something that isn't pretty about radiation is "waffeling" - that is when your face has these lovely waffle imprints all over it from the mask. You are a dead ringer for just leaving radiation in the rest of the hospital.

A funny side note that all the mom's will appreciate. My doctor said he would tape my breasts to the side to avoid any rads getting to them. I asked the techs if they planned to tape and they nicely pointed out that by boobs fell naturally to the side enough that it wasn't an issue. Thank you Alex, Charlotte, and Leland for that!

So one treatment down and 19 more to go. Every day at 10:45 AM for the next 4 weeks. I imagine it will go by fast and hopefully without any complications. I can live with a little waffle face for the next month.

8 comments:

Lisa Enright said...

I can totally relate to the "taping" incident! God bless you Heather!

enenzee said...

LOVE the boob thing...laughing out loud! Only because I'm right there with you, too!

Love, Nikki

Natalia said...

You are amazing, Heather! Three kids, SCT and now radiation and you sound pretty cheery! By the way, my tattoos were painful but like you said if it keeps me cancer free then it's worth it!
Good luck with the rads -- you may have throat issues in about 2 weeks (since it's your neck & head) but it too shall pass! Oh, I used Biafine for the burned and it did wonders for me!

Anonymous said...

As Bob Hope never sang.....

"Thanks for mammaries..."

In order to avoid any retaliation from my wife or her sister, I will remain, anonymous.....

Kathy Campbell said...

Heather
Sounds like you are off to a good start with the radiation.

Hang in there. I am thinking about you.

p.s. Lowe's has great play sets with optional amenities. Changable as they grow.

Anonymous said...

LOVED the video. Boring? Are you kidding? That was the best 7 minutes of film I have seen in a while. Kudos to Dave on the "SLOW' sign bit ... I was laughing out loud. I hope Lee does do the Tour de France some day just so we can play that footage. I just wanted to reach in and hug them all. Thanks for posting that. More please!
Jessica

Anonymous said...

I, too, am laughing out loud! Heather, you are a trip! Let me just say this .... you don't have to have three children for your breasts to fall naturally to the side .... you don't even have to have ONE!!!!! Ha!

So glad to read that your first day went well. I hope that it only gets easier for you. Keep smiling Heather! Love, Julie

Anonymous said...

Heather - I suspect John Cornyn for the "mammaries" commnt! Anyhow, I hope you now realize that when your three are teenagers and want tattoos that you have lost all leverage! Ah, well! Juli in Portland