Sunday, January 21, 2007

Day + 5

My dad and stepmom are in town this week to take care of the kids. They stopped by the hospital today with Lee and Dave. It was really nice to see them. I love weekends because so many visitors come.

The entire mouth sore thing sucks. The pain comes and goes but it is a lot worse in the middle of the night and in the morning. The pain is screwing with my one good meal of the day; breakfast. I bank of the fact that the food is decent (how can you screw up cereal) but these sores are limiting my menu choices. Yogurt is the best but that only comes if the nutritionist remembers to put in the special order. I need to ask my mom to bring up my own supply for the fridge.

I started the shots to help bring my counts back up. Same shots I had to administer to myself before coming into the hospital and the same ones my oncologist gave me. Nothing new, they sting, they always will, and I just have to grin and bear it. Go figure the shots take a long time to work on me. I guess I need to ask how long I get them for because if they are waiting on a reaction from me this will be a long process.

My counts are still the same so nothing new to report. I am tired....what's new. I often wonder when I will "catch" up on my sleep. I am in such a deficit from the kids, pregnancy, chemo, and now the transplant. I have said to many people if they could just knock me out for the entire experience and wake me up on the end I would sign up instantly.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi Heather ~
Am glad your dad is there to help out. Things will seem awfully quiet around the office with him gone. We appreciate having the blog to keep us updated on your progress. The whole thing sounds pretty much like one big bummer to me. At the same time, it really is fascinating how they've figured out all of this treatment stuff, you know? Sounds like they really do know what they're doing. I hope the food thing gets better. Amazing - They can treat cancer but they can't get you a yogurt for breakfast. Hmmm. Hang in there, and remember, you've got lots of us in the stands cheering you on!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Still thinking about you and will get those oranges to you soon.

Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather,
I don't have anything interesting to say, but you said you like getting comments, so I thought I would just say hi. SO, Oregon survived its "WINTER BLAST, 2007" last week (aka 3 inches of snow for 2 hours one morning, schools shut down for 3 days, 24/7 news coverage ... OK can we just get over ourselves now ???). I think we are the only place in the country where snow is BREAKING NEWS. The ridiculous thing is that it usually happens at least once a year, yet people still can't figure out what the heck the white stuff is all over the ground and more importantly, how to drive in it. "You mean my two wheel drive compact with bald tires is NOT the best snow-braving vehicle? WHAT?" If you don't believe me, check out a news video clip from Portland at http://www.kgw.com/video/mostpopular.html?tn
My internet does not buffer the video fast enough to keep up with the live video, but you can get the gist of the 15 cars playing real life bumper cars. I saw it on the actual news that day, and it aside from feeling bad for the owners of the cars, it is hilarious. If any of you from the east coast were here to witness our absolute pandemonium, we would never hear the end of the ridicule. I have chains, so I trotted my way on up the hill to the hospital with no problem (yes, Oregon's number 1 trauma center is located at the peak of the highest elevation in city center, really convenient when the city owns approx. 2 snow plows/sanders). Smart city planning, I know, but I guess the land was free. There's really no point to the story other than to amuse you with the comedy that us fair-weathered northwesterners provide when faced with anything other than rain. We do have like 80 different descriptive terms for rain though, so if you ever need an adjective for precipitation, give us a call. Love ya, Jessica

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,
I spent the day today with visiting customers and have had my arm twisted to eat dinner with them this evening (boo hoo).
Sorry to hear about your sores. Call me tomorrow with your lunch order if you feel up to it. Even a smoothie if that is attractive to you.
We've really been enjoying the video with you, Dave, and the kids. Last night we hooked up with the other gang. We should have done this long ago.
I gotta run. More later.
Love,
dbz