Monday, January 22, 2007

Day +6

I am posting late since I just didn't have the energy to post earlier today. My platelet count has dropped low and they gave me a platelet transfusion last night. That one did absolutely zip so they did another this afternoon. I am feeling a little better but still worn out.

This entire mouth sore thing is the pits. Anyone with suggestions on soft food that doesn't have to be reheated please send it. I am surviving on juice and yogurt right now. My nauseous is gone so I have an appetite but just can't eat because of these sores.

The new doctor on attending is fabulous. A quick explanation of how the doctor thing works around here. There is an attending (on typically for 1 month), a fellow, and an intern that see me. The attending is the doctor that is most senior and he/she (haven't seen a she yet) is typically a big research guru. The fellow is someone that is going to become an oncologist doctor and the intern is fresh from med school. The interns aren't necessarily going to stay in the oncology field they are just doing a rotation here for experience. They assign the intern to go around to every one's room first to gather the latest info in the morning. Then the entire team does their round and visit me each day. The attending that was assigned to this month is having a baby so I have had a lot filling in for her. I am on my third attending and I think last before I go home but we will see. This guy is great because he comes back after they do the rounds and sits and talks to you personally. The nurses say all the patients love him and I can see why. I asked him if my odds were good to get rid of this cancer with the transplant. He reminded me not to get ahead of myself and focus on getting better and out of here so I can have the radiation. Something Dave reminds me of all the time too.

All for right now. They delivered dinner and I am going to try to eat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heather,

I don't think I did this right the first time. If I did then you will have two messages from me.

The following link will take you to a website that will give you some hints on foods you can tolerate with your sores in you mouth.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/eatinghints/page3

I had a problem with sores in my mouth when I was on lots of meds for Crohns disease. Unfortunately I didn't know what to do.

I think about you alot and know that you have the right attitude to get through this.

I hope you get better soon and get to go home and be with your family.

Uncle Chuck