Sunday, January 28, 2007

What to bring to the hospital

Since I know of one person reading my blog that is going in for his own transplant I thought I would jot down what is great to have during your stay in the “joint” (what I like to call hospitals):

Tons of PJ’s, socks, and undies. Sometimes your family members can’t get your laundry back to you quick and it sucks to run out of clean undies.

Towels – we all know how much hospital towels suck.

A blanket for your bed.

A pillow from home.

Slippers

Robe

All your usual bathroom gear. The hospital provides it but I have found their toothbrushes flimsy and after a couple of chemo stays they make we want to gag.

Food – as much as we know about hospital towels we all know about shitty hospital food.
I would bring your most benign comfort food that has gotten you through other chemo’s and mouth sores. Mine was yogurt, oatmeal, and cranberry juice.

Another thing about food – meet the dietician/nutritionist (or food police as I like to call them) and request special items be brought with your tray so your family doesn’t have to go shopping for you.

Pictures of your kids, family, dog – whatever to personalize your room.

To pass the time – I had to have my laptop, ipod, books, scrap booking gear, magazines. Whatever your hobby bring it along. I will warn you that anything with too much detail kind of gets difficult to concentrate on. Even though you might be feeling crappy try not to say no to visitors. It really helps pass the time.

To stay in touch with family – we bought web cams so I could see the kids at night. I also have my cell phone with me to keep in touch.

Wish I had flip-flops since the cleaning crew wasn’t always on top of their game.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather. I am reading every day and hope tomorrow is the big day you get the news you are out of the joint. Can't wait to come visit at home and have you up here in Urbana.

Laura P.